Program Description of Norquay’s Early Mandarin Bilingual Program (EMB)
• Students are accepted into Norquay’s EMB program at Kindergarten and
only. Students entering the program must be proficient in English.
• The EMB program provides students with opportunities to develop and
practical language skills in both Mandarin and English.
• Students will have the opportunity to develop the basic skills of listening,
speaking, reading, writing, and communicating in both Mandarin and English.
• Promotes exploration, understanding and appreciation of the cultures
traditions of Mandarin-speaking world and contributes to multilingualism
• Students will be able to apply acquired Mandarin language skills in real
situations and environments.
What does Norquay’s EMB Program look like?
At Norquay, the EMB program is taught by teachers who are specially
all subjects in Mandarin and English. The program is fluid where teachers
Mandarin and English throughout the day.
Subjects taught in Mandarin:
• Mandarin Language Arts (K-3 Traditional and 4-7 Simplified Mandarin)
• Arts Education
• Physical & Health Education
• Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies
Subjects taught in English:
• English Language Arts
• Social Studies
• Career Education
Even though the above subjects are determined by language, there is often
of both languages.
Benefits of learning Mandarin
• Expands the intellect through learning both English and Mandarin
• Develops enhanced feelings of self-esteem due to pride in having acquired
• Supports students to be part of our global community and prepares them
part of the new global community
• Inspires interest in and respect for people of other cultures and traditions
• Provides students with more choices for advanced education and career
• Broadens students’ cultural life through access to literature, art, music
theatre in another language